Monday, May 5

Time to Get Out Your Oil Paints

Spring Green Road
Oil on Canvas Panel
11 x 14 in/27.9 x 35.6 cm
Copyright 2014
After a season of painting mostly in acrylic, I decided it was time to get out my oil paints.

I really like painting with acrylics, what with all their versatility. And if you've been following OrbisPlanis for any time, then you know I also try to use acrylic like oil paint. One of my goals is to paint so that a viewer couldn't tell the difference between the two mediums, which is not easy to achieve, but I try.

Sometimes, however, I just want to feel the smooth flow of oil paint on the canvas and enjoy its buttery consistency especially if you use a medium or even linseed oil.

And nothing gives you a more beautiful edge or color mix than oil paint with its ability to be applied just the way you want it. You can make it as smooth as silk or you can paint with brushmarks of color slabs.

I know there's some controversy about using water-mixable oil paint, but I paint with it because it doesn't have an odor (at least not to me), you don't need to use mineral spirits or other petroleum-based thinners, and you can clean your brushes (and hands) with soap and water.

I'm not too particular about brand. Right now I'm using a rather limited palette of both Winsor & Newton Artisan and Martin F. Weber WOil. It's a matter of preference, but I find the WOil more creamy and easier to move around.

Don't worry, I'll paint with acrylic again soon, but for now it's time to get out your oil paints!


No comments:

Post a Comment