Monday, May 12

In a Painting Slump

River Valley
Oil on Canvas Panel
11 x 14 in/27.9 x 35.6 cm
Copyright 2014
Oops. After I painted this oil painting two weeks ago, I tripped and fell into a painting slump. I don't know why.

I've been in slumps before, so I know it won't last forever. But when you're in one, it's difficult to see the light at the other end or to know when you'll come out of it.

I didn't know I was in one until I discarded my second painting. When I discard two paintings in a row, I know I'm in a painting slump.

The painting knowledge and experience gained over several years doesn't seem to matter. Even though I can still visualize what I want to paint, I can't connect my mind's eye to my left hand onto the canvas.

I still have enthusiasm so that's good, I think. But I seemed to have regressed overnight or it seems that way.

I switched back to acrylic, thinking that my short stint with oil paint may be the cause. My paintings didn't look like anything I would have painted. I even painted over the second one with gesso and tried again before I gave up and threw it away.

Then I went online and viewed the works of my favorite painters, both living and dead, in hopes that would infuse me with inspiration. I think it helped because I'm ready to start another painting this afternoon.

We'll see how the week goes. If you have any suggestions, please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment