Monday, July 19

Have You Figured Out Your Painting 'Style' Yet?

Mansion on the Plains
Acrylic on Canvas
18 x 24 in/46 x 61 cm
Copyright 2010
Hi-

I wanted to update my art blog before getting on with my painting today.

If you’re new (to OrbisPlanis, that is), then I’ll give you a brief update on what I’ve been doing. For more than a year I was studying and painting in watercolor. I spent a lot of time working on the technique of what I call near-realism. I guess the only reason I'm not calling it realism is that I was not able to achieve that. The artists I worked with are experts at it and create beautiful and award-winning paintings. I, on the other hand, unable to re-create the expert technique, always felt inadequate. After a while that wore on me.

So, I’m going back to where I started out and where I think I will be happiest. OK, make that happi-ER, as happiness is a relative state. I'm 'in like' with acrylics, a loose style and with light as a main ingredient.

I’m working on that assumption anyway. I’m looking around online and all over in books for paintings and painters I admire and by whom I am inspired. When I feel more comfortable about it, I’ll let you know what that is.

Right now, it’s back to basics, and that’s what I’m comfortable with for now.

Today’s image is my simple painting of ground and sky with a couple of points of interest. I looked back at some earlier paintings of mine from three years ago, and I find that it must be my style. Hey, have I figured out at least one thing? Maybe.

As I’ve told you on more than one occasion, as the verse  in the song Garden Party says, “You don’t have to please everyone, you just have to please yourself.”

It’s going to be a good week.

Until next blog…

No comments:

Post a Comment