Monday, December 9

A Painting with Aerial Perspective

View from Monument Hill
Oil on Canvas Panel
9 x 12 in/22.9 x 30.5 cm
Copyright 2013
Here is my painting for this edition of the painting blog.

It was painted from my reference photo taken on an early spring day, and today the area is a popular historic state park. Although I did not have my paints and supplies with me that day, perhaps I will return someday to paint the surroundings in pure plein air

For anyone interested, a little history of Monument Hill: On September 18, 1848, the remains of Texans killed in several skirmishes to secure Texas' independence from Mexico were re-interred in a common tomb at the location now known as Monument Hill near La Grange, Texas.

The scene is an elevated bluff with panoramic views looking west toward the legendary Texas Hill Country, and is a great place for any painter to experience and paint aerial perspective, giving depth and atmospheric dimension to your land-, sea-, and cityscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment