Friday, March 11

And the Next "Big Thing" in Art Is...

The Next "Big Thing?"
What is the next “Big Thing” in the world of art?

I’m sure-- pretty sure-- that somewhere out there in the world is an art historian, art critic, art professor, gallery owner, auction house owner, art musuem director or curator, or maybe even an artist who thinks he or she knows what the next “Big Thing” will be.

However, I don’t think they know or have much more of a clue than you or I do.

Since you’re reading my blog, you are probably pretty much up-to-date with technology, social media, and online communications. That’s a good thing. Just because we paint or sculpt does not mean we are Luddites. (Of course, some artists may be, but not you and I.)

I like to think I keep up with what’s happening in the art world, at least in the online art world, by checking in with Art Slant, Art Babble, EmptyEasel, Wet Canvas, Spacetaker (in Houston), Glasstire (in Texas), the New York Times and Los Angeles Times Arts pages, as well as a lot of different Artist’s Newsletters. Those are just a few of the online sources I read, and I don’t mean to slight anyone by not mentioning their favorite sites.

But even keeping up with the “art-eratti“ (or whatever) and being what I think is fairly well-read, I surely don’t have a clue as to what the next “Big Thing” is. And I don’t think those people mentioned above do either.

Remember when Windows ‘95 was new and Bill Gates predicted we’d all be viewing images of the world’s greatest masterpieces on electronic panels hanging in our homes. Well, flat-screen TVs are here, but I’m still waiting for the images of the art I want to see.

For a while, I thought the art world was obsessed only with the young artists among us (not that there's anything wrong with that) by highlighting all of their works, their shows, and even their personal lives. I ask them not to forget the rest of us out there plugging away.

Recently, I’ve seen and read about outdoor installation art, where huge images, holograms, and laser shows envelop the viewers in large spaces or outdoor plazas. Is this the next “Big Thing?”

Well, I don’t know, and you probably don’t either. If we did, one of us would have been the one to come up with Twitter or Facebook.

Happy Painting!

1 comment:

  1. One could argue that video games are starting to reach the level of fine art.

    ReplyDelete