Friday, August 29

Artist Tips from Orbisplanis August 2008



Today’s Image
Golden Bridge
Pastel on canvas panel
10 x 8in/26 x 21cm
2008


In the Studio

Rather than rush into my next project, even if I knew what it was going to be, I decided to work on a quick piece using pastels and a canvas panel that I had painted over with gesso some time back. I’ve heard the best way to be ‘green’ is to re-use what you already have, so I feel good about that.

I haven’t worked with pastels since last fall, but it was fun to use the medium again. Before I started painting with acrylics last year, I first tried pastels. For this piece, I used my old beat-up set of Mungyo Soft Pastel(s) for Artists. These are mini-pastels; that is, each stick is only 1 in/2.5 cm long.

I just happened to see a photo of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco on the back of a travel guide and decided to draw that. I had previously applied the gesso on the canvas panel rather thickly, and I like the texture it gives to the piece, which is 10 x 8 in/26 x 21 cm. It’s Today’s Image.

August in Review

Although I usually review a book or some similar art literature on Friday, this being the last blog in the month, I give a brief review of the month’s blogs in case you missed any or, as I always say, to relive the memory.

In the Art Library will return next Friday. In addition to installments of In the Studio with every blog, here goes:

So that was Orbisplanis in August 2008 in a nutshell. We’ll do this again at the end of September.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment