Tuesday, July 29

Drawing & Sketching Art Supplies-Erasers, Sandpaper, Sharpeners

New Section in the Right Column

If you hadn't noticed, look in the right column for the new section called, Links We Hope You Like, Too. These are sites that, in my opinion, are either informative, helpful, entertaining, artful, cool, I just like them, whatever. Check it out.

Take the Orbisplanis Weekly Art Poll!

Only two days left. The deadline for this week's poll is end of day on July 31, and will post results on August 1. If you have a burning question you'd like us to poll our viewers, just leave a comment.


Please share Orbisplanis blog (http://orbisplanis.blogspot.com/) with your baby boomer or retiree friends and family. You can contribute to the blog forum by leaving comments; then read what others are saying about getting started in art in retirement in your leisure time.


A Lot of Drawing Materials to Choose from in Your Leisure Time


Whatever it takes, overcome your leisure time inertia and draw! Last blog, I recapped some of what I think are the most popular materials for drawing, and the ones I've been blogging about for more than a week now: graphite ('lead') pencils, charcoal pencils, compressed charcoal, colored pencils, rollerball pens (pen & ink), and art markers. At least these are my most popular drawing materials, and the ones I keep on hand. There are others, of course, that will attract their own fans, dip-pens (and ink) or watercolor pencils, for example. Then there's the mixed media that I haven't gotten into yet, and will save for future blogs. This is where you combine two or more mediums in one piece, for example, rollerball (pen & ink) and watercolor, or acrylic, or be creative and use something else, that's what art's about. If any of these other materials sound interesting to you --go for it.

Other Stuff

You're probably thinking there can't be room for anything else in my 'drawing' drawer, but there is. I call it 'other stuff.' This is kind of like the stuff you keep in your junk drawer (the one we all have and rarely clean out) except this stuff is used for drawing. What am I talking about?

  • Erasers - yes, we all make mistakes, at least I do, so you will need some of these. "They" will tell you the only kind to have and use are kneadable erasers. Supposedly they're the best kind because they do the best job at lifting debris off the surface and are self-cleaning. Well, you do have to knead them (like dough I guess) to get to a clean spot. I will tell you, after a while they turn from the original white or light grey to smudgy black if you are erasing graphite or charcoal. I'm a little skeptical of just how long they stay self-cleaning, so I have a couple of other regular erasers. One is art gum. I think it works pretty well. It's thumb size and has the word 'magic' on it--don't know about that--but it works. The other is black with just the word 'black' on it, and it stays black no matter what you're erasing.

  • Sharpeners - not much to discuss here. You draw with pencils, at some point (ha) they get dull and need sharpening. I have a couple of the little plastic ones you turn to sharpen.

  • X-Acto knife - this, BTW, is a brand name of Elmer Products, but 0f course, everyone calls them an X-Acto and wouldn't know exactly what you meant if you were to call it a utility knife or scalpel. Used for cutting and scraping, duh.

  • Sandpaper - I have a small pad that's about 1 x 4 in/2.5 x 10.2 cm that's handy; another way to sharpen pencils, charcoal, or pastels


So that's my list of materials. I didn't get everything at one time, and you won't need to either. They sort of built up over four or five months time as I explored different things to draw with. What you want to do is pick one and go with it.

In the Studio

I am happy to tell you I finished my acrylic painting of the Grand Canyon scene and am very happy with it. I worked up the several greens needed for the pinion pines. I have several acrylic greens and used those for the different shades for highlights and shadows. The greens I used: viridian hue, olive green, and green gold. For some shades I mixed in (separately) cadmium yellow light,unbleached titanium, and titanium white. I'll post it on the Orbisplanis Online Art Gallery in the next few days, so check over there if you'd like to see how it turned out. Back to my "studio," such as it is, to contemplate my next project.

If you like reading this blog, please leave a comment, and feel free to link this site to others who may have an interest.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment