Thursday, June 28

Painting a Floral Summer Still Life

Daffodils in a Vase
Acrylic on Canvas Panel
6 x 6 in/15.2
Copyright Byrne Smith 2018
Well, the daffodils quit blooming a few months ago.

The summer heat is about to cause a lot of other plants and shrubs in the backyard--roses, coreopsis, African daisies, day lilies, and some varieties of lantana--to stop blooming and go into survival mode as July and August approach. For now, the firecrackers, roses of Sharon, and hibiscus seem to be taking it in stride.

This not being a gardening blog, I'll explain.

When the daffodils were blooming, they were quite striking, and so I wanted to paint them. I also firmly believe summer is the time to do different things, and that goes for painters, too. It's a time to unwind and re-charge.

If you follow The Painting Life, then you know I rarely paint flowers or still lifes for that matter. Summer should relax and re-charge you.

That's what painting daffodils did for me. I hope you like it, and I hope you're doing some relaxing and re-charging yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment