Monday, February 3

An Oil Painting that Looks Like an Acrylic?

Marina de Espana
Acrylic on Canvas
11 x 14 in/27.9 x 35.6 cm
Copyright 2013
I think goals are a good thing to have, although I don't have too many in painting, and I don't have a bucket list either.

One of my goals has been to paint in acrylic so that it looks like an oil painting. I won't say that I have achieved it, but I am closer, in my humble opinion.

Then I got to thinking. Why do I care, and why is it a goal? Good questions both.

As I recall, several years back it seemed to me there was a bias for oil painting. Acrylics were treated somewhat like the second-cousin who was invited to the party only because he was family and not because anyone particularly liked him.

That doesn't seem to be quite so obvious today. I see more (and more) acrylic paintings and painters featured in magazine articles and on the art-discussion websites. I think that's excellent and about time.

But back to why do I care. I gave it a role-reversal and decided to think of it this way: One of my goals is to paint in oil so that it looks like an acrylic painting. How about that?

Today's image is a painting I painted in acrylic. To see how I'm doing, in the next blog I'll post the same painting I did in oil, so check back.

No comments:

Post a Comment