Wednesday, August 21

"Not Another Bluebonnet Painting."

Another Bluebonnet Painting
A
crylic on Canvas Panel
6 x 8 in/15.2 x 20.3 cm
Copyright  2013
This week I decided to paint something I said I wasn't going to do--another bluebonnet painting. If you live in Texas, you probably just cringed.  If you don't, then you don't get it.

Bluebonnets are the cliche of cliches of paintings and painters in Texas. Why, I don't know, other than they are ubiquitous in the springtime, the paintings I'm talking about, as well as the bluebonnets themselves. Every painter of any genre in this state has felt the compulsion to try it at least once.

I'm sure the contemporary and cool artists are rolling their eyes, assuming they're even reading this. But for us representational impressionists, it's a hard habit to break.

Anyway, here in the depths of late summer, I had to paint one, sort of an homage to spring. I hope you appreciate my candor.

No comments:

Post a Comment