Friday, May 27

Paint Small

The Motif for My Small Painting
I did something last week that I haven’t done in a long time. I painted small.
Of course, the term small is relative. Small for you and small for me may be two entirely different things.
I have read and actually seen drawings and “paintings” that were rendered on the head of a pin. Why on earth anyone would do that, other than the sheer novelty of it, is beyond me. I don’t enjoy peering through a magnifying glass to view artwork.

Anyway, when I say small, I mean smaller than a full sheet of watercolor paper, which is 22 x 30 in. (56 x 76 cm). So my latest painting is on a half-sheet, and I didn’t even use all of that real estate either. My painting is only 9 x 16 in. (23 x 41 cm.). Again, that’s small for me.
Why did I enjoy it? Well, I like that you can paint a small painting relatively quickly. I think I spent about four hours over a couple of days, which was great since I am having a very busy May as I told you in a recentblog.

Also, the smaller size meant that I didn’t fuss with the details, which I sometimes do in a larger painting. That is, I sort of painted the whole thing at once. My painting is a simple landscape, so it was ground, trees, sky---one, two, three. Easy.

I like the result, and so I have decided to do a series of the same motif, but in different seasons as suggested to me by an artist friend. I’m looking forward to it.

So my suggestion to you is—think  and paint small sometimes...

Happy Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment