Monday, July 21

Renew Your Art Skills-How to Start

Nothing new there (ha), except you should treat it as an opportunity to re-start your artistic engine. Maybe pull out that sketchpad that's buried in the drawer there with your old art supplies. If you haven't seen it in a while, it's time to get it out, dust it off, and use it. Look around indoors or outside and find something you'd like to draw or paint. You'll be surprised to hear yourself say, "Oh yeah, I can do this." It can make your day. Remember, you have the time for art now. Don't forget to put Orbisplanis on your Favorites list or to subscribe if you don't want to miss a beat.

First Things First

I just mentioned retrieving your sketchpad. This assumes you already have at least a few supplies, or at least some paper, lying around waiting to fulfill their purpose in life. However, many of you may find yourself in the same boat I was. It had been a long, long time since I had thought about doing any artwork. It's amazing how much transpires in one's life in thirty years--births, graduations, marriages, other stuff, moves from city to city and from house to house, careers and career changes, you name it. As you know, life has a way of happening to us when we least expect it. And even if we are expecting it, it hardly ever follows our script.

I digress. Point is, you may have cranked up your art engine only to find you're not geared up for the trip. That's where I was last year. Here's what I did to get the old art ball rolling.

What you want to do FIRST is figure out where your starting point is. By that I mean, what do you want to try first and in what medium? If you haven't figured this out yet, whoa, you need to back it up. It doesn't really matter in what direction you start out, the main thing is that you are starting. That old proverb--a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step--is right on.

You can, of course, do anything you please, and we all know that doesn't happen very often, so take advantage. Do you want to draw, paint, collage, what? And in what medium-for example, graphite, colored pencils, pastels, watercolor, which? You certainly don't need any kind of rigid plan, for goodness sake, you're retired. However, I recommend you pick a 'what' and a 'which' and go with that for a while. You're just getting your feet wet, and there's no reason to go 'hog-wild.'

If you're a regular viewer of Orbisplanis, you know what I did first was to start drawing (the what) using soft- and hard-lead pencils and rollerball pens for line drawings (the which). So, if you haven't figured out your 'what' and 'which' yet, go noodle on it, then come back and see me.

In the Studio

I left off telling you I was in between projects, that time when you're looking for the next inspirational thing. It can be kind of like having writer's block if you're not careful. Fortunately, the light bulb came on, and I'm on my way again. Someone in the family came across a neat photo that was taken at the Grand Canyon (for our potential global viewers, that's in the US state of Arizona) about twenty years ago. I'll use it as a reference for an acrylic painting. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

If you like reading this blog, PLEASE leave a comment, and feel free to link this site to others who may have an interest.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment