Thursday, January 24

Painting Eggs

As you can see, the title of today's blog is Painting Eggs.
 
What does painting eggs have to do with anything? Well, if you read my last blog, you may recall that I was trying to get my painting groove back after the holiday hiatus.
 
I wasn't having much luck either. But, as in life, simple things are usually the best. And that was true in this case.
 
In a weekly critique class we were given a quick assignment to reinforce and improve our painting skills. The assignment was to paint three eggs (watercolor) on a white surface with one light source in addition to the ambient light.
 
The skills we were trying to improve were: understanding light source and shading, and creating volume. Simple.
 
Seems to have worked. Above is my little effort, and I now feel more confident, if not inspired, to begin painting again with renewed vigor and anticipation.
 
If you've recently lost your painting groove, go out and find it, by all means.

No comments:

Post a Comment