Thursday, October 7

From Where Does Your Inspiration Come?

I was inspired by Edward Hopper
when I painted this watercolor
Hi-
Today I’m blogging about inspiration. Why inspiration?

Because all artists need, and I would go so far to say, they crave inspiration. Many don’t know it, but I think if you are a passionate and caring and creative artist, you already know all about inspiration.

Let me re-phrase that; you already know about the power of inspiration.

I will only speak from personal painting experience, but I think inspiration is the essence of your muse. It can make or break your creative session, your current painting, or your well being as an artist.

Inspiration moves you to a heightened awareness and a burst of visualization that previously was not obtainable or at least not there consciously. Inspiration drives you and me to greater creative possibilities.

Inspiration is a personal thing. What inspires me probably won’t inspire you and vice versa. That’s what makes it so unique, artistically speaking.

For me, inspiration is like an analog clock, remember those, that must be wound to keep on ticking. When I’m newly inspired, I feel I can take on challenging, new projects with the confidence that my painting will be the best it’s ever been.

Then, slowly, ever so slowly, the spring of inspiration uncoils, and the tension of what is possible begins to wane. It can take days, weeks, or even years. As I said, it’s a personal thing.

I get my artistic inspiration from several things, not all of them purely art, but all are in the creative realm. A movie that takes me on a journey from less to more, from impossible to possible, or from down-trodden to great expectations often inspires me. I’m not giving any examples, though.

Music also inspires me to greater possibilities. Certain music takes me to another place that opens up my mind. Since taste in music is highly personal, I not recommending any except to say you might give Yo-Yo Ma a try.

Last but not least, of course, is art itself. Seeing original art in person is probably best, but reading and looking at art and paintings in books or even online will do it for me. If you have a favorite artist, look again at his or her best work and see if you don't get a twinge of inspiration. It works for me. I just finished a book full of Edward Hopper's work, and I can't wait to start my next painting.

Maybe even an online art blog, such as this one, will be your inspiration. No?

Until next blog…

No comments:

Post a Comment