Friday, April 23

Help Me Select My Next Motif, Please

Motif No. 1
Motif No. 2
Motif No. 3


Hi- I’m relaxing a little bit this morning and thought this would be a good time to blog a bit. Why am I relaxing?

Well, I worked really hard on my Sun-face acrylic yesterday, so I’m giving myself a little time off, at least for a few hours anyway. I painted a good part of the day yesterday and into the early evening. When “things” are going well with my painting, I guess you could say I get invigorated.

That is, the paint seems to be going on all the right places in the right amount with the results I want. That doesn’t happen nearly enough for me, so I’m going to enjoy it for a while. The painting is not done; in fact, it needs a good bit of tweaking of some details, but the hardest part is done, and I’m relaxing.

After it’s finished, I’ll post it. But then it will get critiqued and will need, I’m sure, more working over. Ah, the life of the artist.

While I’m relaxing my brain is still somewhat in gear, and, as I have mentioned before, I start to feel the tension of my next painting project before my current one is completed. The tension comes from soon having to commit not only to a motif but also to a medium.

My last two paintings were acrylic, and I really enjoy painting with acrylics. Before that I did a string of watercolor paintings, which I like to work on as well. What to do?

I am leaning toward a watercolor because I don’t want to forget any of the nuances of painting in that finicky medium. If you didn’t catch my recent blog about painting in watercolor vs. acrylic, you might find it interesting so you can click here to see it.

Okay, if I’m doing a watercolor, what should the motif be? This is somewhat of a trick question because I’m already planning to do a landscape taken from a reference photo of a recent drive out to the blooming wildflowers of the spring countryside around here. By the way, those flowers are bluebonnets.

I’m going to try something new. I’m posting three photos of possible motifs. I would appreciate your letting me know which of the three (I’ll call them Nos. 1, 2, and 3) you think will make the best painting. Or you may not like any of the three; in that case, just tell me as I have dozens more from which to choose. The selected photo will probably need cropping, too.

Let me know. Leave a comment or email me.

Until next blog…


1 comment: