Monday, January 4

Getting My Art Groove Back On


Today’s Image
Sunrise On A New Year
Copyright 2009

As you can tell by the headline of today’s blog, I am “rarin’ to go” to get back to my art and artwork. It’s time after a long holiday break, which was enjoyable and enjoyed. Today's Image is a painting of mine that says, to me, time to start again.

Now it is time, and I can’t wait.

It began building a few days ago when I hung the 2010 Monet calendar in my studio area. It’s a calendar with a Monet painting for each month from the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. His paintings are beautiful, which you don’t need me to tell you, and an inspiration. The January painting is The Houses of Parliament, Sunset, 1903. It’s quintessential Monet.

During the holidays, I had packed away a lot of my art paraphernalia so that there was room for gatherings and guests. (I also didn’t want anyone messing anything up or stepping on any of it :-).

Over the weekend I retrieved my paint and brushes and palettes. I pulled out the watercolor I’m working on and that I mentioned in a previous blog. It’s the one I began in early December and had to start over. It’s still only about 25 percent complete, but it’s the first thing I’m going to work on. I will post it when completed, I promise.

Early January is the time of the year when people declare crazy things like they’ll start over, do better, lose or gain—whatever. Artists are no different. We may, or may not, be more attuned to the creative process. However, I bet that most of us have an inner desire to create the best art work we ever have in the coming year.

Have you ever heard an artist say, “Oh, I think I’ll just blow it off; I don’t care if my work is worse than ever this year,”? Well, I haven’t either, and I don’t think anyone has.

I know it sounds corny, he said through rose-colored glasses, but it feels like a new beginning.

I hope it feels that way for you especially if you’re one of those for whom creating art is a painful, skin-shedding process. I don’t think it’s supposed to be that way. Hard, yes, but physically and emotionally painful—I don’t think so.

Anyway, as I began to work on my watercolor, mixing the right colors for the building that’s in the foreground, I began to feel much better. The holidays are a wonderful time, but when they’re over, there’s always a sense of loss for me that it’s all over for another year.

Painting helps put me in a good state of mind. As I apply the paint and washes, I can feel that I'm getting my groove back on for the coming year, and I hope you can, too!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment