Monday, November 25

Painting the Weather

Gray Day in the Valley
Acrylic on Artist's Canvas
9 x 12 in/22.9 x 30.5 cm
Copyright 2013
I hope wherever you are, the weather matches your mood today, especially if you are painting.

Although I don't know if painters are more susceptible to the effect the weather has on our mood, I suspect that is so. I think that because we are probably more aware than others of light source and environment as we plan and create our work.

Capturing the effect of light and atmosphere is a key part of most representational paintings, not only landscapes but still lives as well. The light, or lack thereof, and the state of  the ambient atmosphere are almost as much a part of your painting as the composition and focal point.

The weather affects your own mood, probably more than you think. I seem to have more energy and inspiration when the sun is shining. On those days, I get to work more quickly and seem to paint my best. Fortunately, I live where the sun shines a fair amount of time.

But that doesn't mean I'm not able to paint when the weather is less than ideal. That was the case the day I worked on today's image. It was cold and rainy, much like it is today. To paint on gray, overcast days I have to get into the right frame of mind, and it affects the values I see and the colors I mix.

So, wherever you are and whatever weather you're experiencing, I hope it suits your painting today.

No comments:

Post a Comment