Thursday, June 20

Experiment with Painting this Summer

By the Lake
Oil on Canvas Panel
5 x 7 in/12.7 x 17.8 cm
Copyright 2013
I am enjoying painting again in oil, although I'm sure I will alternate between painting in oil and painting in acrylic all summer long.

Summer is a good time for experimentation, and that's what I want to do--try new things, learn new things, discover new painters.

I hope you can take some time this summer to experiment with painting and  discover new things to inspire you. 

Today's image is one of the smallest paintings I have done, only 5 x 7 in (12.7 x 17.8 cm). I find that painting small is a good way (for me anyway) to get re-acquainted with oil painting. Plus, I'm painting alla prima, so small is good.

This is a scene of a small waterfall at a man-made lake within a condominium complex. It was enjoyable to paint the strong sunlight, the contrasting dark shadows, and the reflections of the rocks.

Painting should be enjoyable if not pure fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment