Monday, August 9

Go On Vacation (or On Holiday) with Acrylics

At the Harbor
Acrylic on Canvas
18 x 24 in/41 x 61 cm
Copyright 2010
Hi-

We’re in the ‘dog days’ of August in the northern hemisphere, which means a lot of people are on vacation, or on holiday, as some call it. Whatever you call it, it’s a time to relax and do something different. Get out of your rut.

If you paint primarily in acrylic, I hope you share my enthusiasm for the medium. If you haven’t tried acrylic for whatever reason, you really should give it a try. I think you will be happy, if not excited, about new possibilities for your art.

I am currently painting in acrylic only. I am learning as much as I can about how to combine my personal style and technique with this medium.

I am enjoying the experience. Every painting is a new experience, and therein lies the inspiration and the promise of fulfillment. I’m using a limited palette on some paintings and a broader palette on others.

So what if acrylic has its own set of quirky characteristics? You can and should use them to your advantage. For example, if you are fast and loose with the paintbrush, then you and acrylic should make a great team because of the quick drying time.

I am currently working in an impressionistic style, and I’m finding acrylics to be a great partner. It’s great for daubing and quick brushstrokes of broken color. You can quickly see the results of your creative efforts, and you can easily make any necessary corrections.

Today’s image is a painting I completed last week. I painted it alla prima in one afternoon. I used a limited acrylic palette of ultramarine blue, alizarin crimson, viridian, and titanium white.

Relax! Go on vacation (or holiday) with acrylics.

Until next blog…

No comments:

Post a Comment