Thursday, June 24

Painting Acrylic on Watercolor Paper - You Should Try It

Wish I Were There
Acrylic on Paper
18.5 x 24 in/47 x 61cm
Hi-

Just a quick blog today to update you on my latest acrylic, which is today’s image and which I titled Wish I Were There.

As I said in a previous blog, it has all the things I like to paint—sunlight, shadows, adobe walls, and the color turquoise.

What was a new painting experience for me was the support I used to paint with acrylic on this painting. It’s 300 lb. Arches watercolor paper. That heavy of a paper makes a great support for acrylic, which also can be mixed with water.

What I did first before anything else, including drawing my image on the paper, was to cover the paper with a mixture of Raw Umber and Titanium white (mostly Titanium white). The result was a light gray tone, which cut the bright white of the paper and made it easier to find the correct values. Doing this is somewhat similar to putting a toned gesso on a canvas beforehand.

What I like about painting acrylic on paper that's been coated with acrylic first, if you follow that, is how smooth the surface is and how easily the paint flows.

FYI-I painted the palm trees first, then the shrubs in the foreground, then the adobe building, and finally the sky.

I like it.

Until next blog…

1 comment:

  1. Master Framing are the experts in framing in Sydney.
    We specialize in memorabilia framing, custom picture framing, canvas stretching and photo mounting.
    We have grown into one of the most competitive picture framers in New South Wales,
    offering a large range of picture frames and picture framing services.

    acrylic photo mounting

    ReplyDelete