Sunday, February 26

I Think I Am Finally Getting the Hang of This


I'm Getting the Hang of Painting Looser
As the headline of today’s blog says, I think I am finally getting the hang of this—painting in a more loose and open style, that is. I believe I’m in good company because Auguste Renoir said the same thing, rather comically I presume, "I think I am beginning to get the hang of this," not long before his death in 1919. (Note: in no way am I comparing myself to Renoir.)

Anyway, the point is I feel I have made progess in my wish, desire, quest (pick one) to change styles and master the ability to paint looser.

I paint in watercolor and acrylic, and for the last year I have been on a mission to paint in a freer, less detailed, more impressionistic style by capturing what I see and expressing it more loosely and quickly.

It’s not an easy thing to do--change your style, I mean--in case you've never tried it.

But it’s one of the ways we grow as painters and artists. If, and I should say when, you find yourself on a plateau art-wise, that means you are ready to expand your horizons, so to speak, and try something new.

Today’s image is the first painting in which I feel as though I am finally getting the hang of painting looser.

Progress in painting is good.

So, Keep on Painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment