Friday, September 2

Only Paint What You Really, Really Like

Lapping at the Shore
Acrylic on Watercolor Paper
6 x 12 in/15.2 x 30.5 cm
Copyright Byrne Smith 2016
Like riding that proverbial bicycle, one never forgets how.

As I mentioned last blog, after a four-month hiatus from painting in which I repaired my home and studio after flooding in our area, I feel relief that I was pretty much able to get back up on that "bike" and pick up where I left off.

Pick up, that is, with a new understanding of how and what I will and will NOT spend my artistic time on. I discovered something during my hiatus--paint only those subjects you really, really like and only in the style and medium you really, really like. This is key.

Painting anything else is a fool's errand and will only make you really, really unhappy.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment