Monday, December 30

Far-Away Places in 2014

Far-Away Places
Oil on Canvas Panel
8 x 8 in/20.3 x 20.3 cm
Copyright 2013
Like many painters this time of year, I think about what the new year will bring.

For me, I hope it brings a new and better appreciation for painting. It's not that I have not appreciated it in the past, but I hope I take it more seriously. OK, a little more seriously anyway (fortunately I don't have to paint to make a living).

That takes away a lot of the pressure. But some pressure is good. Without pressure to produce or achieve, I don't take it seriously enough, and my work suffers for it.

During this last year I moved in a new direction, which is difficult to do. I decided to work with oil where previously all my effort had been for watercolor (for several years) and then back to acrylic.

But the way I want to paint currently, contemporary impressionism, seems to lend itself to oil--what with the softness and blending required with this style.

I also began painting smaller paintings. I think this will help me to learn what I need to know about this type of painting. We'll see. I'm hopeful that I will improve, and I tell myself that as long as I am satisfied, that is all that matters.

Today's image represents those far-away vistas we see and the future coming right at us.

Here's to a 2014 filled with wonderful paintings for you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment