Thursday, March 7

Put the Fun Back in Your Painting

Boardwalk, Acrylic on Canvas
Copyright 2008
(When Painting Was Fun)
As "they" say, what goes around comes around. That is true for painting, at least in my case.

After a while I tend to get bored or tired or something with whichever medium I am currently working in.

Well, it's happened again. Watercolor has lost interest in me, and I with it. Not sure why.

Maybe it's because I'm on another art plateau, which I have previously blogged about, click here to read.

Maybe I really need a break-through, which has not been forthcoming.

Or maybe I want to have some fun again.Yes, that's it, I want to have fun again!

When painting becomes drudgery, it's time for a change.

I found myself dreading the start of another watercolor. What would I paint? How big? What paper? Of the techniques I know, which one for my next painting--realism, impressionism, loose,big brush, etc., etc?

Frankly, my dear, I didn't give a damn.

What to do? Don't panic.

Then I remembered fondly the days of yore and not all that long ago, either, of painting in acrylic and the energy and potential I felt when I put paintbrush in hand. That's what I was looking for again.

So, I picked up and packed up all my watercolor paints, brushes, paper and put them away. I'm not throwing them away, you see, only putting them away--for now.

I'm sure I'll be back when I need a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment