Monday, September 5

Art--Can You Really Call It Work?

My "Labor of Love"
Oil Pastel on Paper
Copyright 2008
Today is Labor Day in the US. What’s that all about? Well, it started out a long, long time ago, around 1882 in New York City, as a celebration of the American workforce. I don’t think it’s looked upon as that much anymore. Mainly it’s the last holiday of summer, a time to relax at a barbecue, or whatever, before all the autumn and winter activities start up.

I doubt many artists think of themselves as laborers, and I doubt many take the day off. I know I’m off to my easel just as soon as I post this blog.

Of course, artists work hard, it’s just a different kind of “work.” Art--in my case, painting--does not have regular hours, and it does not seem like work. It’s not a 9-to-5 job, thank goodness. It’s a whenever-you want-to do-it job, or at least, I think it should be.

That does not mean artists do not or should not put in the hours. It takes a lot of practice and long hours to achieve the level of talent you aspire to. Or not, sometimes it’s pure creative talent and sometimes it’s just luck—being in the right place at the right time to make it in the art world.

Can you really call it work, as in labor? I don’t think so.

That said, I suppose it’s sentimental to call it a "Labor of Love," but I just did.

Happy Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment