Monday, December 7

Creating Art Cannot Be Rushed. Ever.


Today’s Image
This is how I feel this time of year
Courtesy of Edvard Munch

Time seems to have sped up considerably in just the last few weeks, and I feel suddenly behind in many areas. I don’t like that feeling of having to rush through life with tasks and appointments and “things” in general flying by like cars on a speeding passenger train, lights flashing and horns blaring.

I especially don't like feeling that way about my art.

Creating as well as viewing art should not be rushed. Ever.

Perhaps the act of painting should not be so painstaking, but neither should it be undertaken so quickly and casually that it doesn’t seem to matter.

Art should be calm.

And artists should be calm when they’re creating art. We’ve all probably seen caricatures of an artist painting away madly on a canvas like some mad scientist from an old horror movie. Artists know it’s almost never like that. But if that is the way you usually create art, then you need to speak to someone about it.

Try to remember, if everything is a priority, then nothing is a priority. That little gem didn’t originate with me, of course, but feel free to quote it.

I’m not talking about lolly-gagging around without a care in the world either. I’m just saying there needs to be some balance in life so your art can be accommodated--without rushing.

I’m guessing it’s the “season” we’re in—lots of activities to plan and to attend, lots to do, and to top it all off, everything you thought you would accomplish this year is speeding toward that wall that is December 31.

Here’s what to do.

Go to your studio, or wherever your artwork is waiting for you, and either physically or mentally shut the door.

Take a deep, cleansing breath as they used to say back in the last century.

Then, lose yourself in your current project, and all your cares will slip quietly away as if on little cat feet.

Plan how you’ll paint that red roof or that bluebird’s wing or the ear lobe on that portrait.

Mix and match those luxurious colors for your still life or your snow scene or your cityscape.

Pick up that brush, dip it into your oil, water, or acrylic paint pan, and fly away into your painting only to return when your mind is at peace.

Now, isn’t that better?

Creating art cannot be rushed. Ever.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I've just discovered your blog through the Rare Art Arena site (which I'm also on), and love what you have written about painting. I also like the quotes you have added about art by artists - very encouraging for when I'm having a 'bad' day painting! I think that painting can be a very isolating activity and being able to contact other artists is very positive and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thanks for your very nice words. I do try to communicate simply some of the things I am experiencing with art. If the blog helps us feel connected in some way--that's great.

    ReplyDelete